This living book uses simple experiments, detailed illustrations, and clearly explained concepts readers to introduce the basic principles of matter and thermodynamics in a fun, exciting way.
— Have you ever seen a magician make something seem to disappear? Did it make you wonder if anything can really just vanish?
To answer these and many other questions, author Paul Fleisher looks at the scientific laws that describe how matter and energy behave. Through simple experiments and concepts that are easy to understand, readers are introduced to the basic principles of matter and thermodynamics in a fun, exciting way.
This living book is referenced in several living book curriculum lists, including AmblesideOnline.org and MaterAmabilis.com. This edition of Paul Fleisher’s Secrets of the Universe has been fully revised by the author and features all of the original illustrations by Patricia Keeler.
Paul Fleisher's Secrets of the Universe curriculum contains five books, which are all available as a set:
- Liquids and Gases: Principles of Fluid Mechanics
- Matter and Energy: Principles of Matter and Thermodynamics
- Relativity and Quantum Mechanics: Principles of Modern Physics
- Waves: Principles of Light, Electricity, and Magnetism
- Objects in Motion: Principles of Classical Mechanics