Home Education, the first volume in Charlotte Mason's Home Education series, presents Miss Mason's "method of education resting upon a basis of natural law" with an emphasis on equipping mothers to work with their children from early childhood to age nine.
Paperbound, 5 x 8", 420 pages.
Home Education: Training and Educating Children Under Nine
Home Education is Volume 1 of Charlotte Mason's Home Education series, a six-volume set on educating children at home and at school. This volume presents Miss Mason's "method of education resting upon a basis of natural law" with an emphasis on equipping mothers to work with their children from early childhood to age nine. The six parts of the volume include:
In Home Education
Part 1: Some Preliminary Considerations
- I. A Method Of Education
- II. The Child's Estate
- III. Offending The Children
- IV. Despising The Children
- V. Hindering The Children
- VI. Conditions Of Healthy Brain-Activity
- VII. 'The Reign Of Law' In Education
Part II: Out-Of-Door Life For The Children
- I. A Growing Time
- II. Sight-Seeing
- III. Picture-Painting
- IV. Flowers And Trees
- V. 'Living Creatures'
- VI. Field-Lore And Naturalists' Books
- VII. The Child Gets Knowledge By Means Of His Senses
- VIII. The Child Should Be Made Familiar With Natural Objects
- IX. Out-Of-Door Geography
- X. The Child And Mother-Nature
- XI. Out-Of-Door Games, Etc.
- XII. Walks In Bad Weather
- XIII. 'Red Indian' Life
- XIV. The Children Require Country Air
Part III: 'Habit Is Ten Natures'
- I. Education Based Upon Natural Law
- II. The Children Have No Self-Compelling Power
- III. What Is 'Nature'?
- IV. Habit May Supplant 'Nature'
- V. The Laying Down Of Lines Of Habit
- VI. The Physiology Of Habit
- VII. The Forming Of A Habit -- 'Shut The Door After You'
- VIII. Infant 'Habits'
- IX. Physical Exercises
Part IV: Some Habits Of Mind — Some Moral Habits
- I. The Habit Of Attention
- II. The Habits Of Application, Etc.
- III. The Habit Of Thinking
- IV. The Habit Of Imagining
- V. The Habit Of Remembering
- VI. The Habit Of Perfect Execution
- VII. Some Moral Habits -- Obedience
- VIII. Truthfulness, Etc.
Part V: Lessons As Instruments Of Education
- I. The Matter And Method Of Lessons
- II. The Kindergarten As A Place Of Education
- III. Further Consideration Of The Kindergarten
- IV. Reading
- V. The First Reading Lesson
- VI. Reading By Sight And Sound
- VIII. Recitation
- VIII. Reading For Older Children
- IX. The Art Of Narrating
- X. Writing
- XI. Transcription
- XII. Spelling And Dictation
- XIII. Composition
- XIV. Bible Lessons
- XV. Arithmetic
- XVI. Natural Philosophy
- XVII. Geography
- XIX. Grammar
- XX. French
- XXI. Pictorial Art
Part VI: The Will — The Conscience — The Divine Life In The Child
- I. The Will
- II. The Conscience
- III. The Divine Life In The Child
This lovely edition was republished in Australia by Living Book Press. Books published by Living Book Press are not photo reproductions of the original hardback volumes as were the original pink books but are a completely new transcription of the original versions presented in a fresh, clean font for easier reading. Page numbers in these newly typeset volumes correspond to the original editions for easy study and cross-referencing, and wide margins offer space for notes.