In this Second Reader from the 1879 edition of McGuffey's Eclectic Readers, you will find dramatic stories, vintage illustrations, phonics-based reading instruction, and more, all designed to teach children language arts and communication skills. Whether you use them for instruction or simply as readers, these books offer an authentic glimpse of historic lives and values while expanding vocabulary and perspective.
Across the series, you will find:
- Complete original text from McGuffey's 1879 edition;
- Phonics-based reading instruction;
- Vocabulary and spelling taught and reinforced in context;
- Penmanship instruction and practice;
- Age-appropriate instructions on elocution (art of speaking);
- Increasingly challenging literature selections for grades K-12;
- Original text presented as a facsimile edition (exact reproduction) with original diacritical markings in place;
- Interior text printed on high quality cream paper for exceptional readability.
6 x 9 hardcover.