This living book uses simple experiments, detailed illustrations, and clearly explained concepts readers to introduce the basic principles of light, electricity and magnetism in a fun, exciting way.
— Have you ever wondered why a prism turns ordinary sunlight into a rainbow? Isaac Newton knew why.
— How can a magnet be used to generate electricity? Michael Faraday could have told you.
— Can you explain how a toaster toasts bread?
In this book, author Paul Fleisher answers these and many more questions as he looks at the laws that describe how waves behave. This living book is referenced in several living book curriculum lists, including AmblesideOnline.org and MaterAmabilis.com. This edition of Paul Fleisher’s Secrets of the Universe has been fully revised by the author and features all of the original illustrations by Patricia Keeler.
Paul Fleisher's Secrets of the Universe curriculum contains five books, which are all available as a set:
- Liquids and Gases: Principles of Fluid Mechanics
- Matter and Energy: Principles of Matter and Thermodynamics
- Relativity and Quantum Mechanics: Principles of Modern Physics
- Waves: Principles of Light, Electricity, and Magnetism
- Objects in Motion: Principles of Classical Mechanics