These French-ruled composition books are ideal for Charlotte Mason-style notebooking, penmanship practice, copywork, journaling, and more.
- French-ruled composition book
- Paper: smooth; 90g; white; acid free, pH neutral
- Laminated covers in assorted colors
- Size: 6 ¾ x 8 1/4"
- 96 pages/48 sheets
You can save on a set of four composition books.--
These simple French-ruled composition books are ideal for Charlotte Mason-style notebooking, penmanship practice, copywork, commonplace books, book journals, and more. They feature beautiful opaque, fountain-pen friendly, acid-free paper with the exceptionally white, ultra-smooth satin finish that makes Clairefontaine paper the best paper in the world for writing. Best of all, they are inexpensive enough to use for almost everything!
Here is why I like French-ruled notebooks for both students and adults:
- French-ruled: The narrowly-spaced lines help to guide writing, no matter what size letters students need to write. Younger students can write large, and gradually move down to a standard writing size. At whatever size they write, the French-ruled lines act almost like a visual girdle for their letters, helping them to keep strokes parallel and at the same size.
- Amazing paper: As a lover of paper and pens, I have always been sensitive to the way paper feels, and how it reacts to a pen. Low-quality papers cause the pen or pencil to drag, and rough fibers can jostle the stroke to the point where it looks wobbly, even if the writer was trying to be perfectly smooth. The paper in these notebooks is beautiful. Either a pen or pencil glides along as if on rails, and each page is thick enough so that the writing on the other side does not show through, even when I use a fountain pen. In addition, it's acid free and pH neutral.
- Staple bound: It is always easier for a student to write well if his/her arm is supported on a flat surface such as a desk, large clipboard, or lap desk. If a student is writing in a thick notebook, and gets halfway across the page and his hand falls off the edge, a degree of control and steadiness is lost, and handwriting on the second half of each line tends to be wobblier and less controlled. These slim composition books avoid that problem, as the drop-off is small enough so that the hand continues to be supported by the desk, keeping writing is consistent all across the line. These are excellent for left-handed students, as there is no annoying wire binding to get in the way.
- Laminated covers are durable yet flexible. This is very important to me, as I tend to have more than notebook going at a time, and I drag them everywhere.
- Color: They come in assorted, juicy colors — when you order, we just send the next color in the stack, unless your life would be completely blighted by not having a particular color;-). If you order more than one, we send an assortment.
- Size: 6 ¾ x 8 1/4": This is a super-manageable size. It's big enough enough so that older students can fit quite a lot on the page, but small enough to not intimidate younger students. If your student is using it for a composition book, the page size makes reaching a specific word count seem doable.
96 pages/48 sheets: These are long enough to be useful, and to see progress from beginning to end. However, they are also short enough that students can begin afresh every semester or so. This is especially good for students who like for each page to look nice.
The images are imperfect, as hastily-written samples and iPhone photos can be, but I hope they give you an idea of what these lovely little books are like. I think they are a wonderful tool for helping your children learn to write with ease and enjoyment.